It’s almost three years since the news of the pandemic hit the world due to the fatal coronavirus disease (COVID-19). Economies, social interactions, and many human activities were frozen by its threats, causing governments worldwide to take precautionary measures against its spread that can quickly severely affect a large portion of the population.
THE PANDEMIC PERPETRATOR
The SARS-CoV-2 virus causes COVID-19 as a respiratory disease, gravely affecting millions of people. It was first discovered in Wuhan, China, last December 2019. Symptoms vary from person to person, but the most common are fever, cough, tiredness or fatigue, and loss of smell and taste. Generally speaking, this virus can hinder our daily routines, especially for those hospitalized and experiencing severe symptoms. The transmission rate of this virus is quicker; hence the World Health Organization (WHO), on March 11, 2020, alarmed the world with its announcement that the COVID-19 outbreak is a global pandemic.
THE CONTINUOUS FIGHT AGAINST THE VIRUS
It is often said that prevention is better than cure. Relevantly, aside from hospital treatments for those diagnosed, disinfection became the sidekick of people who swore in the name of safety. Most disinfecting agents used are alcohol and bleach, as it is widely available even for household consumption. Theoretically, every person you will meet outside carries a hand sanitizer as their weapon when battling against daily exposure to the possibility of contracting the disease. Those products may be cheap, but regular utilization can become costly.
THE 90-DAY SMART ANTI-VIRAL DISINFECTANT
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) and its industrial partner Chiaphua Industries Ltd. developed an antimicrobial product that lasts up to 90 days. The Germagic MAP-1 Pro is a multilevel antimicrobial polymer that contains millions of nano-capsule disinfectants when sprayed. As it was designed for use on different surfaces, it is best to disinfect any part of a structure or object. The encapsulated agents can be boosted by human touch, releasing the disinfectants on the sprayed materials. It can inactivate various types of viruses and bacteria, including, but not limited to, those that cause rubella, measles, mumps, avian influenza, swine flu, and H1N1.
During the early months of the pandemic, Hong Kong adopted MAP-1 Pro in shopping malls, schools, school buses, sport training facilities, churches, markets, and other structures and facilities. Clean Zone PH prides itself on being the first direct partner of Germagic in fighting against viruses in the Philippines. We offer a disinfection service that uses MAP-1 Pro disinfectants, elevating clients’ experiences since the early stage of the pandemic.
Even today, the threat of viruses and bacteria remains at large. The only weapon we have to prevent the spread of diseases is disinfection. Settling for the best must be our priority to protect lives and security in the places we are going through. It’s still recommended to start within ourselves and, like MAP-1 Pro, establish protection in the long run.
- COVID-19 and Your Health. (2020, February 11). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/about-covid-19/basics-covid-19.html
- HKUST Develops New Smart Anti-Microbial Coating in the Fight Against COVID-19 | The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. (n.d.). https://hkust.edu.hk/news/research-and-innovation/hkust-develops-new-smart-anti-microbial-coating-fight-against-covid-19
- Staff, R. (2020, April 27). HK scientists say new antiviral coating can protect surfaces for 90 days. U.S. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-hongkong-coating-idUSKCN2290S5
- Whitwam, R. (2020, April 28). New Disinfectant Can Kill Coronavirus on Surfaces for 90 Days – ExtremeTech. ExtremeTech. https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/309865-new-disinfectant-can-kill-coronavirus-on-surfaces-for-90-days
- World Health Organization: WHO. (2020, January 10). Coronavirus. https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus#tab=tab_1